World Book Day Extravaganza - The Final Day

Well, as they say, it's all over but the shouting. And what a fantastic day the last day of the annual World Book Day events at Dubray Books Galway branch was! It started with me reading to the 4th, 5th and 6th classes from Scoil an Linbh Iosa (Mercy Primary School)... a large group, but very attentive and interested. I was very pleased, because they offered me their time and their focus, and I hope I gave them something they will remember.
Then, the amazing Nicola Pierce took time from her manic weeks' schedule to come to Galway and talk to the final 2 class groups about her new book, City of Fate.... just as beautiful and memorable as her previous Spirit of the Titanic, but a very different subject matter. This time, Nicola has given us an eloquent and well-researched fictional view of the battle of Stalingrad during World War II. All I can say is WOW! (Review coming shortly) The children were mesmerised and engaged. Nicola left them with loads to think about, wanting to learn more and completely in awe.
A superb way to finish off the weeks events.
I want to express unending gratitude to Maria Burke, Sadie Cramer, Patricia Forde, Paula Leyden and Nicola Pierce. You made the week!
Also, my deepest thanks go to the schools, the teachers and the....are you ready for this?...... 627 school children who attended the World Book Day Extravaganza 2014. You will never know how much joy you give me each year. World Book Day/Week would mean nothing without you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rights of the Reader

The Summer of Lily and Esme by John Quinn....25 years

Joyous Jolabokaflod!!!!