Looking For Falling Stars

Well... after all... this is Fallen Star Stories.
I got the name for my blog (and formerly, my studio) from a memory from childhood. My father and I used to sit out on the front porch late at night and look for falling stars. That simple. This is an activity I shared with my children when they were little... lying out on blankets in the front garden and watching the night sky to see falling stars and make wishes. It was absolutely amazing.
And now, tonight and tomorrow night, in the wee small hours, it is the peak moment for observing the Perseid meteor showers. This promises between 50 to 100 meteors per hour. The stuff that dreams are made of... and life long memories. Any way you look at it, it's an incredible moment at a time (aka: 'these days') when observing simple, straight-forward, incredible moments can be quite rare.
My advice: keep your fingers crossed for clear skies, stay up late, go outside with those you love, have your wishes ready.... and look for falling stars.
http://planetsave.com/2012/08/11/perseid-meteor-shower-2012-peaks-sunday/
Now, just to tie this in with things bookish, here's a recommendation or two for the young folk on astronomy. I think the DK Eyewitness series does it very well.
to be updated Sept 2012

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rights of the Reader

The Summer of Lily and Esme by John Quinn....25 years

Joyous Jolabokaflod!!!!