Stop What You're Doing....!

The title of this small book is Stop What You're Doing and Read This!... and so I did. (In truth, I'd heard about this book late last year and have been waiting for it to come out.) In times when we are most concerned with the elements of our busy lives... work, sleep, finance, the internet... I think this could be one of the most important books that's been published in quite a while. Here, we are greeted by a series of essays from some of the most prominent authors publishing today and they are all about the value of reading.
"People have always needed stories. We need them to make sense of our lives, test our depths, understand our joys, and discover what humans are capable of", it says on the back of the book. And that's exactly what you find within it's covers. Zadie Smith talks to us about her 'Library Life', Tim Parks speaks on 'Mindful Reading', Nicholas Carr exposes the 'Dreams of Readers', Michael Rosen uncovers some 'Memories and Expectations' and Jane Davis encourages the 'Reading Revolution.' Oh, there is so much more in these essays that more than proves the point... books are important; in fact, I would say they are urgent. As I read this book, I began to reflect on my own history with reading and where this fanatical passion for books came from in my life. And why I believe everyone, absolutely everyone, desperately needs books (and, I do mean actual books) in their life, in their home and in their memories.
My only worry is this... that this book won't reach the hands of those who truly need it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rights of the Reader

The Summer of Lily and Esme by John Quinn....25 years

Joyous Jolabokaflod!!!!