Are You A Child Of Books?

I am so ridiculously excited about this new book!
A Child of Books by Oliver Jeffers and Sam Winston; Walker Books 9781406358315
A Child of Books by Oliver Jeffers and Sam Winston is out now and it is wonderful. An homage to childrens' books and reading, fostering a love of books in all of us, this book is simply beautiful and is a MUST for every home, school and library everywhere. First, we see a simple story of a young girl and her love of stories and the journey on which each one will take her. Her love of sharing this experience is pivotal to the tale. But every page gives us something so much more. The illustration is carried out through the clever and meticulous use of collage and typesetting, giving us a book to be entered and pondered for hours as we begin to read the illustrations. Passages from forty childhood classics, Treasure Island, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Rabbit, The Secret Garden, even nursery rhymes to name but a few, create a typographical landscape that engaging characters travel through to give us a full and wondrous notion of books and reading. It is an absolute inspiration for children and their grown-ups. We begin to think about our own stories, the ones we have read and the ones that have helped us indulge in our own path. Hours upon hours can be spent with A Child of Books...and never forgotten.










When I think of my own story and the books that made me a child of books, that first gave me that fascination and push to read more and more and to think about what I was reading, I have a few real standouts. I Am A Bunny by Olé Risom (illustrated by a young Richard Scarry) was the first book I ever bought for myself. I was 4. I was completely enchanted by the journey through the seasons and the joy Nicholas felt at each day. Misty of Chincoteague by Marguerite L'Engle was my first 'chapter book'. (I have to say here...it may help you understand the impact of story-telling a bit...I was not then, nor am I now a 'horse' person.) it was the characters, their adventure, their determination. I think I read it 12 times or so. And The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgeson Burnett.... still entrances me. Thanks to these (and others, of course) and now to this new, beautiful offering; I am A Child of Books.

 But tell me, please, what books made you A Child of Books?


Comments

  1. What a pleasant YouTube video it is! Awesome, I loved it, and I am sharing this YouTube record with all my colleagues.
    Awards for children's books

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Rights of the Reader

The Summer of Lily and Esme by John Quinn....25 years

Joyous Jolabokaflod!!!!